This beta is the change indicator for upcoming Ubuntu 14.10 in October 2014. The changes from alpha release is very less but the distro is gradually improving to its final release
Xubuntu 14.10 Featues
- Inxi, a tool to gather system information, is now included
- To allow users to use pkexec for selected applications instead of gksu(do), appropriate profiles are now included for Thunar and Mousepad
- The display dialog has been updated, multiple dispays can now be arranged by drag and drop
- The power manager can now control the keyboard-backlight and features a new panel plugin, which shows the battery’s status, other connected devices with batteries and controls the display’s backlight brightness
- The themes now support Gtk3.12
- The alt-tab dialog can now be clicked with the mouse to select a window
- Xubuntu minimal install available – information on installation and testing will follow shortly.
The final Beta of Ubuntu 14.10 will be available on September 25, 2014. The release candidate will be scheduled on October 16 an the final stable release will be available on October 23.
In Ubuntu 14.10 release cycle more efforts are on convergence and Unity 8 with Mir, early systemd integration. So the changes in Ubuntu 14.10 are very less. But this is the first mile stone for a complete convergent ubuntu on all devices.