“12.04 is an LTS. So we want it to be tough and long-lasting, reliable, solid as a rock and well defended. It’s also going to be the face of Ubuntu for large deployments for a long time, so we want it to have no loose ends, we want it to be coherent, neat.
“We’ve told the story of the cloud in previous releases, and that comes to fruition in 12.04 with the first LTS that supports both the cloud guest, and cloud infrastructure, across ARM and x86 architectures. We’ve also told the story of Unity in previous releases, and that comes to fruition in a fast, lean interface that works well across clients both thick and thin. 12.04 is going to be a lot more than all that, but for the full reveal, you’ll need to wait till UDS! Nevertheless, we can take reliability, precision, and polish as a given.
Balancing all of those options, I think we have just the right mix in our designated mascot for 12.04 LTS. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Precise Pangolin.”
The developers launch a new ubuntu release every 6 months, and every 18 months we get an LTS release. That is Long Term Support. The past LTS was Ubuntu 10.04.
Features of Ubuntu 12.04
We will get most stable release of Unity desktop, A much improved Light DM login screen, An inbuilt ubuntu one cloud service, A close integrated social network, A nice looking Software Centre and A New Gnome 3.4 etc.. are the features of the coming 12.04
What is a Pangolin?
A pangolin is a scaly, nocturnal, insect-eating mammal with a long snout and a very cute face. And we are expecting a precise usable Linux Operating system from ubuntu.
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Release Schedule
There will be two Alpha versions for Ubuntu 12.0. And two Beta versions. Then there will be a release of the Release Candidate version and finally the complete version will be released. The schedule of the release of Ubuntu 12.04 with exact date is as follows.
- Alpha 1 release date: December 1st 2011
- Alpha 2 release date: February 2nd 2012
- Beta 1 release date: March 1st 2012
- Beta 2 release date: March 22nd 2012
- Release Candidate release date: April 19th 2012
- Ubuntu 12.04 Final release date: April 26th 2012
- Ubuntu 12.04 Named ‘Precise Pangolin’ (omgubuntu.co.uk)
- The Fridge: P is for… (fridge.ubuntu.com)
- P is for… (markshuttleworth.com)
- You In Ubuntu: Interview: Roberto Alsina, Manager for the Ubuntu One Desktop Engineering Team in Online Services at Canonical (ubuntu-user.com)
- Ubuntu deploys cloud-ready Ocelot beta (go.theregister.com)
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Release Schedule (flossstuff.wordpress.com)
- Ubuntu Version 11.10: Days Away Now (ostatic.com)
- In Depth: How Ubuntu is built: the inside story (techradar.com)
- Ubuntu Restores Xen, Adds Juju to Ubuntu 11.10 (readwriteweb.com)
- Flavia Weisghizzi: How Ive learnt Canonical isnt the wrong 🙂 (deindre.wordpress.com)