The latest tor browser 4.0 is out with more features and bug fixes. Tor 4.0 brings various updates to prevent POODLE attack by disabling SSLv3. The v4.0 update includes the latest Firefox ESR and a built in updater, it will tell you when a latest update arrives and forward you to the Tor Project website.
The most important feature in Tor 4.0 is the inclusion of the meek pluggable transport. This feature gives users living in restrictive nation to connect to Tor effectively. Now meek-amazon and meek-azure will work in China today, without the need to obtain bridge addresses.
The China user metrics are now steady with Tor 4.0 updates. So China users can connect to Tor network without any problems. Users from other countries where some kind of block for facebook, twitter or any other website can also access them through Tor with more ease.
The latest Tor browser is based on Firefox 31 ESR. So the new Australis theme and higher HTML5 support is available with Tor 4.0. The inbuilt updater of Tor 4.0 can be accessed through Menu > Help > About Tor Browser. The automatic update system will work out of the box but it is better to check manually whether your GPG keys match with the keys provided in the tor website and continue to download the complete browser package from the website. This is essential for verifying the correct package because tor is the most secure way to connect internet anonymously.
The update includes Firefox to 31.2.0esr, fteproxy to 0.2.19, Tor to 0.2.5.8-rc (from 0.2.4.24), NoScript to 188.8.131.52, Torbutton to 184.108.40.206 (from 220.127.116.11), Tor Launcher to 0.2.7.0.1 (from 0.2.5.6) . A complete list of bug fixes and updates are listed in the official blog.
Tor is the best browser and software available now to connect internet without compromising your privacy. It helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security. Also check Orbot, a tor application for google android devices, is a free proxy app that empowers other apps to use the internet more securely. Orbot uses Tor to encrypt your Internet traffic and then hides it by bouncing through a series of computers around the world.
To work tor as intended some special considerations must be include when browsing internet.
- Use the Tor Browser
- Don’t torrent over Tor
- Don’t enable or install browser plugins
- Use HTTPS versions of websites
- Don’t open documents downloaded through Tor while online
- Use bridges and/or find company
- New releases of Tor Browser 4.0 and Tails 1.2 to preserve your privacy (arie.co.za)
- New releases of Tor Browser 4.0 and Tails 1.2 to preserve your privacy (securityaffairs.co)
- Tor 4.0 released; SSL3 disabled thanks to POODLE (techienews.co.uk)
- Tor Browser 4.0, Tails 1.2 are out (net-security.org)
- Tor Browser 4.0 – Everything you need to safely browse the Internet (hack-tools.blackploit.com)
- Tor Browser 4.0 is released (torproject.org)