Pinguy OS Mini 14.04 is a tear down version of the original Pinguy OS which comes with large number of tweaks and fixes available in the main Pinguy OS version, but without most of the applications installed in Pinguy OS. Like the main version, Pinguy OS Mini uses GNOME Shell version 3.10 as the default Shell and Gnome 3.10 as the Default Desktop.
Pinguy OS comes with multiple applications preinstalled from same task. There are multiple Video Players, Audio Players, Web Browsers etc.. Pinguy OS give the user to try different applications and choose the bset for them. Pinguy OS is really help full to the people have a very slow internet connection to install an application from internet.
In Pinguy OS Mini the web browser is Firefox, Video Player is VLC, it is a tweaked version of Ubuntu with all the essential software configured. User can add their favorite applications after installation. Pinguy OS Mini also comes with Gedit, Shutter, Nemo and Filebot installed by default, along with most common system tools like GNOME Tweak Tool, Boot Repair, Y PPA Manager etc.
Tweaks in Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini
- Netflix works out of the box with the help of Pipelight (simulator for Silverlight).
- Peerflix and the Firefox scripts about which we wrote a while back are included by default.
- TRIM is enabled for SSDs.
- Liquid Prompt is used by default on GNOME Terminal.
- The Filebot scripts are included by default.
- A data recovery script that uses TestDisk is included with Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini.
- TLP (a tool that applies various tweaks to your laptop to save battery power), zram-config, preload (a daemon that stores the frequently used files in memory for faster startup times) and Profile Sync Daemon are included by default.
- Codecs, Java (icedtea and OpenJRE), G-talk plugin are comes in Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini.
Pinguy OS Mini uses the same Gnome Shell Extensions, Docky and a very nice Conky setup which are come in Pinguy OS Main Verion.
Pinguy OS 14.04 (the full version) will be released in about a week.
Download Pinguy OS 14.04 Mini
Known Problems and fixes:
- Auto login is disabled by default but you can enable it after installing Pinguy OS via GDM3Setup / Login Screen settings;
- Torrent Streaming via Firefox is not enabled by default. To stream torrents from Firefox open the torrent file select open it with /usr/bin/Torrent-Video-Player For magnet links, select to open the torrent with /usr/bin/Magnet-Video-Player.
- Distribution Release: Pinguy OS 11.04 (distrowatch.com)
- Pinguy OS rerview (linuxcommandss.wordpress.com)
- Pinguy OS – Another Ubuntu Fork (techie-buzz.com)