Gnome Classic (Gnome 2) Session is available on Ubuntu 14.04 as Gnome fallback session. This is the classic two panel desktop with minimize bar and all. The classic session consists of two panels and Application menu, Places Menu etc.
The gnome classic session help a lot of people to use Ubuntu easly. Because it is solid proven and familiar interface for gnome. It is fast and easy to use also for lot of ubuntu users.
Install Gnome Classic Session on Ubuntu 14.04
To installl gnome fallback session just run the command on the terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T)
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback
after completing the installation just log out and select the “GNOME Flashback (Compiz)” from the login menu. if you want to use Compiz or “GNOME Flashback (Metacity)” if you don’t need Compiz and want to use Metacity as the window manager.
If you want to change the window decorations or the border of the window then it can be done using compiz-settings-manager. It is usefull if the window decorations does not appear after login into the session.
To install compiz-settings-manager just run the commands below.
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
Then launch CompizConfig Settings Manager from the menu (Applications > System Tools > Preferences), enable the “Copy to texture” plugin, then log out and log back in.
If the window decorations still don’t work, you can also try to disable all the plugins from CompizConfig Settings Manager and then re-enable them (remember not to enable the Ubuntu Unity Plugin!).
Add Applets to the Panel
sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-appmenu
Then add the “Indicator Applet Appmenu” to the top panel by pressing alt key right clicking the panel. Then add applet and select the Indicator Applet Appmenu.
Install Cardapio – A searchable Mega Application Menu
- fixed the GTK3 bookmarks path;
- fixed GNOME session logout/shutdown;
- fixed panel icon not being displayed
- fixed panel icon padding Cardapio using the wrong icon;
- fixed “Applet” tab in Cardapio preferences not being displayed in GNOME Flashback session.
To install cardapio into ubuntu 14.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cardapio cardapio-gnomepanel
After installation of Cardapio just add the applet to the panel. Then configure the menu as you like.
Now you get a very nice Gnome Classic Session on Ubuntu 14.04.
This is very much usefull for old users of Gnome. But the time is changing Gnome 3 is advancing fast pace.
Source : Webupd8
- Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for Perfect Desktop (smashingweb.info)
- Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS Beta 2 (Trusty Tahr) Officially Released, Is Based on GNOME 3.10 (news.softpedia.com)
- A Quick Look At The New GNOME Classic Session (Now Available In The GNOME Testing PPA) (webupd8.org)
- Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS is released (ubuntugnome.org)
- Distribution Release: Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 (distrowatch.com)