The Gimp 2.7.3 has been released.. This is the third development release of gimp in its dev channel 2.7.x . The stable release will be 2.8 . This time it is almost production ready software with most anticipated features single window mode, on canvas text editing, active text widgets and more close to gegel.
And now cairo is used to load pdf files. Almost complete cage transform tool. New Selection gudes. Layer groups. Using move tool for selecting a layer are the new features.
The latest dev version also improved in speed and handling various elements. The single window mode works awsome.
Download GIMP 2.7.3
Install GIMP 2.7.3 in Ubuntu
To install add ’ppa:matthaeus123/mrw-gimp-svn’ to your Software Sources. Following this either update and upgrade your existing GIMP installation, or update and install GIMP via the Ubuntu Software Centre.
Make from the scratch.
If you want to make gimp from the scratch then you want to download the tar ball form ftp.gimp.org
First, create a temporary directory where the sources are put into:
mkdir -p ~/tmp/gimp
Then, fetch the source code of the GIMP version you want to compile and put it into the directory.
- So, either download the GIMP 2.7.2 sources and extract it. Open a console window and type:
tar -xjf gimp-2.7.3.tar.bz2
- Alternatively, fetch the latest sources with git (make sure git is installed – install with sudo apt-get install git): Open a console window and type:
git clone git://git.gnome.org/gimp
We want to install GIMP into a special directory (/opt/gimp-2.7) so that it doesn’t interfere with the system’s GIMP package. So open a console window (if you didn’t do already) and type:
Now we have the GIMP source ready. Lets’s try to do configure it:
If you downloaded the tarball (.tar.bz2):
OR if you fetched the sources from git:
Then on the configure process you will get an error
error is that babl >= 0.1.4 is required but not found
For compiling gimp you need the babl-devel and gegl-devel packages installed. Or just download the source of babl and gegl and install them.
Compile GIMP (takes some time, depending on your machine) and install it:
make install -j5
GIMP should have been installed to /opt/gimp-2.7 now.
Now, run it with /opt/gimp-2.7/bin/gimp-2.7
I compiled on Fedora 15 and working fine. No crashes. If you stuck on any problem just query.
- GIMP 2.7.3 Released With Working Single Window Mode, Layer Groups (omgubuntu.co.uk)
- GIMP Single-Window Mode Almost Ready, Hardware Acceleration Planned (ostatic.com)
- Single-window mode feature complete (chromecode.com)
- Installing GIMP on your computer (brighthub.com)
- GIMP on Windows 7 (edugeek.net)
- Compiling GIMP 2.7.2 for Ubuntu 11.04
- New development version: GIMP 2.7.3 released
- Photoshop Of Linux, GIMP 2.7.3 Released, Features Single Window, Install Now!
- GIMP – A free Photo-editing Software [Download] (techtivee.wordpress.com)
Is there any Windows version available?
Yes. You can go to http://www.partha.com/ or http://graphicall.org/?keywords=gimp . There are two builds from 2.7.3