Fedora 15 Beta is available for download now. It is the first operating system with all the power and changes of gnome 3.0. Some majour changes are also coming to gnome 3.0. The desktop of fedora 15 will have icons. Fedora 15 comes with lot of great improvements. A complete gnome 3.0, Firefox 4 may be 5, Libreoffice 3.3, and much more. You can see the full list of features at the fedoraproject website.
The final release of Fedora 15 will be on 24th may 2011. You will get a release candidate on 10th may 2011. This release will come with the superfast kernal 2.6.38 or later may be 2.6.39. The 2.6.39 is now in RC status so it will be great.
Fedora 15 Features
- Gnome Shell and the Gnome 3 desktop – Gnome 3 is the next major version of the Gnome desktop. After many years of a largely unchanged Gnome 2.x experience, GNOME 3 brings a fresh look and feel with GNOME Shell.
- LibreOffice Productivity Suite – LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, with the support of the OpenOffice.org community. All of the applications you know and love are still there, including apps for spreadsheets, document creation, and presentations.
- Desktop environments a-plenty – The Xfce and LXDE spins have been updated, and the Fedora Spins SIG has other offerings tailored to a wide variety of user needs.
Sysadmins will love features such as:-
- Appliance building – BoxGrinder creates appliances (virtual machines) from simple plain text appliance definition files for various virtual platforms, and is great for building appliances for use in a Cloud environment.
- Dynamic Firewall – The dynamic firewall mode aims to make it possible to change firewall settings without the need to restart the firewall and to make persistent connections possible.
Coders have lots of new development tools to try out, including:-
Updates to popular languages – Python 3.2, Rails 3.0.3, and OCaml 3.12 are all included in Fedora 15.
Project tooling – Maven 3 is a Java project management, project comprehension, and build system tool.
Compiling and debugging – GDB gets an update to 7.3, and GCC 4.6 is included. (Fedora 15 has also been rebuilt using GCC 4.6!)
Highlights of Fedora 15 Beta:
· Linux kernel 220.127.116.11;
· The GNOME 3 desktop environment;
· Gnome Shell user interface;
· LibreOffice 3.3 open source office suite;
· Mozilla Firefox 4.0 web browser;
· BoxGrinder appliance (virtual machines) builder;
· KDE Software Compilation 4.6.2;
· Dynamic firewall;· RPM 4.9;
· Python 3.2;· Rails 3.0.3;
· OCaml 3.12;
· Maven 3;
· GNU Debugger (GDB) 7.3;
· GCC 4.6;
· Updates to the LXDE and XFCE 4.8 desktops;
· Sugar .92 environment;
· eCryptfs support in authconfig;
· LZMA comperssion for Live images;
· Power Management improvements;
· Retrace server;
· Robotics suite.
You can download Fedora 15 beta from the fedora mirrors list
- Are You Looking Forward to GNOME 3? (ostatic.com)
- Luis de Bethencourt: gnome 3.0, i like it (luisbg.blogalia.com)
- What Is New Fedora 15 Alpha? (techie-buzz.com)
- GNOME 3 vs Unity – preview (computergyan.wordpress.com)
- New GNOME Cuts the Clutter (pcworld.com)