Update : For Fedora 14 Post Install Guide check the post Fedora 14
Fedora 13 is a great operating system. One drawback is it excluded the restricted packages like ffmpeg etc.. For activating a good mulitimedia system you need some additional packages. After installing the DVD You need some more softwares for a life. As a web programmer my choices are listed below. Copied from hackourlives website . Posted for my referance.
Enable Restricted Repositories in Fedora 13
Become root by typing su at the terminal followed by entering your root password. Now enter the following in the terminal
rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
Next we add the adobe repository for downloading Acrobat Reader, by running this at the terminal
rpm -Uvh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
You can use the yum utility for install all the softwares from direct internet. The fastest mirror plugin for yum will help you greatly to improve the speed of installation . for that you just type.
yum install yum-plugin-fastestmirror
Now your system is ready for installation of other softwares. just yum and application name will install all the softwares. You can save all the rpms into another location. For that two methodes are used. On the time of installation you can just copy all the files from the directory /var/cache/yum/i386/13/fedora/pacakges to your home directory after downloading the packages. Be fast after the installation of the rpm all the cache will be deleted automatically. second methode just use the yum plugin downloadonly.
yum install yum-plugin-downloadonly
Then you can download all the rpms into your machine and you can keep them for later use.
Internet Applicaitons for fedora 13
- flash-plugin: Adobe Flash Player: to be installed
- Chrome: web browser by Google: to be installed separately can be download from google
- Opera: web browser: to be installed separately
- pidgin : Instant client like empathy. Some times work better with webcams
- transmission: A BitTorrent Client: Bittorrent client: already installed
- Empathy IM Client: multi-platform instant messaging client: already installed
- skype: VOIP software: to be installed
- Google Earth: Map software by Google: to be installed separately
- Gwibber : A twitter client you can use other accounts like facebook,identi.ca etc…
Graphics App;ications for fedora 13
- gimp : Great image editor – included as default
- inkscape : Greate vector editor – Can be installed seperately
- Google Picasa: application for organizing and editing digital photos: to be installed separately
Office Applications for Fedora 13
- openoffice.org-writer: replacement for Microsoft Word: to be installed
- openoffice.org-calc: replacement for Microsoft Excel: to be installed
- openoffice.org-impress: replacement for Microsoft Powerpoint: to be installed
- AdobeReader_enu: Adobe Reader: to be installed (choose the package for your language)
- scribus: open source desktop publishing(DTP) application: to be installed
- dia : Diagram editor in linux. Can draw 32 types of diagrams like flow chart, electrical chart etc …
Sound & Video Applications for Fedora 13
- audacity: free, open source, cross platform digital audio editor: to be installed
- audacious: Winamp like music player: to be installed
- banshee: media management and playback and synchronize music with Apple iPods: to be installed
- gnome-mplayer: media player (video/audio), supports practically all formats: to be installed
- SMplayer : Greate mplayer front end.
- vlc: media player (video/audio), supports practically all formats: to be installed
- Rhythmbox Music Player: audio player, similar to Apple’s iTunes, with support for iPods: already installed
- gtkpod: iPod manager, supports iPod, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod photo, and iPod mini: to be installed
- dvdrip: full featured DVD copy program: to be installed
- dvd95: dvd shrink like program to convert DVD9 to DVD5: to be installed
- kino: digital video editor: to be installed
- sound-juicer: CD ripping tool, supports various audio codecs: to be installed
- Totem – media player (video/audio): already installed
- gxine: media player, supports various formats; can play DVDs: to be installed
- Brasero: CD/DVD burning program: already installed
- k3b: CD/DVD burning program: to be installed
Programming IDES for Fedora 13
- emacs: Feature rich extensible self-documenting text editor: to be installed
- vim: Terminal based power text editor: to be installed
- Geany : Great IDE with lightweight CPU Usage.
- bluefish: HTML editor: to be installed
- kdewebdev: includes quanta: web development environment, including a WYSIWYG editor: to be installed
- Komodo EDIT : Good Editor that support various langage like php,ruby,html etc…
- VirtualBox-OSE: run your old Windows desktop as a virtual machine under your Linux desktop, so you don’t have to entirely abandon Windows: to be installed
- ffmpeg: Useful video conversion application: to be installed
Home Theater (HTPC):
- mythtv: State-of-art Home Theater and Personal Video Recorder (PVR) application.
- xbmc: Awesome easy to use Home Theater (HTPC) application for playing videos, music, photo slide show etc., no PVR though!
- Moovida : Great Media player with slick 3D interface.
You can install all the packages listed above in one go, but doing this at the terminal:
yum install flash-plugin thunderbird gimp f-spot openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-impress AdobeReader_enu scribus audacity audacious banshee gnome-mplayer vlc gtkpod dvdrip dvd95 kino sound-juicer gxine k3b emacs vim bluefish kdewebdev VirtualBox-OSE skype ffmpeg
This is going to take a while as over 400+MB of files would be downloaded. Take out whatever you don’t need, also I have not included mythtv and xbmc in the above complete install list, as not everybody would be needing it. You might also want to install Yumex, by doing
yum install yumex
this is a gui based package installer and search application similar to Synaptics (Ubuntu, Debian fame), but not as fast. You can download the remaining packages from the links given below.
Download Google Chrome from here.
Download Google Picasa from here.
Download Google Earth from here.
Download Opera from here.
Download Skype from skype.com
You can reffer the Fedora 12 Post Installation Guide at my-guides.net for more correct Installation of Applicaitons. Command are same for fedora 13. hackourlives website is great for providing this guide.
Dude this is a blatant copy of this post from hackourlives.com (link given below) At least you should have put some effort in what you added to the content by spelling "applications" and moovida correctly. http://www.hackourlives.com/perfect-desktop-using-fedora-13-goddard-post-install-guide/
awesome post,i was grateful to see your blog.
hai ranji sent fedora instal pdf or video with me
I was searching expert Plasma Mounting wall installation. I visited your site during searching. I read this whole article and updated my knowledge after read it. You provide the amazing information. I love it. Thanks.