The live Linux distro for media center PCs, Home Theatre PCs(HTPC), Media TVs released its version 2.0.According to developer Benjamin Zores, the team had been “struggling for months and years to design this v2.0 version, switching from one Media Center project to another”, and even creating its own before the group decided “to finally stick with the most powerful one, the reference: XBMC”.
GeeXboX 2.0 includes version 10.1 “Dharma” of the open source XBMC media player and is “radically different from the 1.x series”. Zores says that the project’s philosophy remains the same: “aim at targeting the most PCs and devices as possible, in an as lightweight as possible way”. The latest release features support for a number of embedded devices running ARM SoCs such as the TI OMAP4 Pandaboard and NVIDIA Tegra 2; support for more SoCs will be added “in the months to come”.
With version 2.0 some features have been removed, including the unique ISO generator tool, legacy HDD installation and support for V4L Analog TV cards. Support for DVB Digital TV cards has also been removed but “will come back shortly”. The “GeeXboX for PC” is 72MB iso file.
- x86 32 and 64 bits PCs
- ARM TI OMAP4 Pandaboard
- ARM nVidia Tegra2 Harmony
- Linux Kernel v220.127.116.11.
- Systemd v29.
- BusyBox v1.19.2
- Connman Network Manager v0.76.
- Xorg Server v1.10.3.
- Mesa v7.11.
- OPKG Package Manager v0.18
- USB persistent user data storage.
- ALSA v18.104.22.168.
- Support for Analog, SPDIF and HDMI output devices.
- Support for Intel, nVidia, ATI, Matrox and VIA GPUs.
- Support for CRT, LCD and HDMI output devices.
- OpenGL and OpenGL|ES hardware assisted graphics acceleration.
- VDPAU, VA-API and Crystal HD hardware assisted video decoding for nVidia, Intel and Broadcom GPUs.
- Mouse and Synaptics touch pads.
- HID Keyboards.
- Remote Controls.
- NFS shares.
- Samba auto-discovery.
- UPnP / DLNA media discovery.
- ZeroConf services announcements.
- HTTP server.
- FTP server
- XBMC Media Center 10.1 “Dharma” frontend.
- Movies and TV Shows, with subtitles support.
- Music Collection
- Pictures and Slideshows
- CDDA, DVD and (unencrypted) Bluray support.
- Media Database Support.
- Internet MovieDB / TVDB metadata and covers grabbers.
- GeeXboX Media Center distribution reaches 2.0 (h-online.com)
- GeeXboX LiveUSB HTPC Linux distro hits v2.0, adds ARM support for multi-core video decoding (engadget.com)
- Links 20/9/2011: GeeXboX 2.0, Birthday for Mageia (techrights.org)
- Links 19/9/2011: Linux Mint Debian 201109, Knoppix 6.7.1 (techrights.org)
- Lessons Learned: Linux + Sony Vaio F Series (jeffhoogland.blogspot.com)
- In-depth preview of SemperXBMC (allaboutsymbian.com)
- This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 14 and disable Nouveau driver. (technologychick.wordpress.com)
- Try Bodhi Linux for Beauty and Customizability (pcworld.com)
- Martin Owens: XBMC Librarian (New Addon) (doctormo.org)
- Media Center software that buffers video? (ask.metafilter.com)
- How To Help Paton: Media Center (paton.wordpress.com)
- The Best PVR: Windows Media Center! (makeuseof.com)
- Microsoft: only 6% of Windows users ever tried Media Center (electronista.com)
- Get multiply Linux Distros from NetBootCD (beast4romtheeast.wordpress.com)
- Links 21/8/2011: Fusion Garage Makes Android Tablets, GNU IceCat 6.0 is Released (techrights.org)
- NetbootCD: Install Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian & More From One CD [Linux] (makeuseof.com)