Fedora 18 codenamed Spherical Cow finally released officially. Fedora 18 now supports UEFI Secure Boot, comes with a rewritten installation UI, and the System Storage Manager(SSM) as a command-line interface to provide a unified view of storage management tools, as well as a choice of five different desktop interfaces.
Fedora 18 also introduces UEFI Secure Boot. That is fedora 18 can be installed in the systems which shipped with Windows 8. The new user interface for the installer (Anaconda) make easier to use for new users, while advanced users can still access advanced settings in the installer. Still there are some known issues in the new installer. It will be refined in the coming versions of fedora.
Gnome 3.6 with Gnome Shell Interface is used by default in Fedora 18. Gnome Files (Nautilus) GNOME Contacts, Boxes, Documents, Totem (Videos), etc. are all installed in Gnome 3.6.
For users those not like the Gnome Shell there are Cinnamon or MATE Desktop in the official Fedora 18 repositories, along with Xfce 4.10, KDE Plasma Workspace 4.9 or LXDE (these last 3 are also available as Fedora Spins)
fedUp : -This is the new tool that’s used for the upgrade process (to newer Fedora versions). For how to upgrade the system using fedUP, see THIS page.
Fedora 18 Comes with new Offline Update System. The system will boot into a special update mode “in order to avoid problems related to conflicts of libraries and services that are currently running with those on disk”, says the Fedora Wiki.
The Default fedora Comes with Nautilus 3.6.3, GNOME Control Center 3.6.3, Evolution 3.6.3, GNOME Documents 3.6.2, GNOME Boxes 3.6.2, Deja Dup backup tool 24.0, Rhythmbox 2.98, Empathy 3.6.2, Firefox 18, Cheese 3.6.2, Shotwell 0.13.1, Transmission 2.72, GDM 3.6.2 and LibreOffice 220.127.116.11, among others, all on top of GNOME 3.6 and GTK 3.6.2.
Fedora 18 Desktop Interfaces
- Gnome 3.6
- KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.9
- Cinnamon 1.6
- MATE Desktop 1.4
- Xfce 4.10
Fedora 18 Development Languages
It also comes with latest version of various development languages
- Rails 3.2
- Python 3.3
- Perl 5.16
Download Fedora 18 from the official website. There are torrents are also provided as alternative download options.
- Fedora 18 `Spherical Cow` Released (webupd8.org)
- Five Notable New Features in Fedora Linux 18 ‘Spherical Cow’ (pcworld.com)
- Fedora 18 finally arrives (zdnet.com)
- Fedora 18 Spherical Cow Final Released, Features Cinnamon and MATE (news.softpedia.com)
- Fedora 18 Released (Slashdot) (linux.slashdot.org)
- Fedora 18 arrives ready for the cloud (infoworld.com)
- Fedora 18 Spherical Cow brings Linux fans a taste of Cinnamon, new installer (engadget.com)
- Fedora 18 Released, print your sleeve! (ryanlerch.org)
- Fedora 18 Linux Released (hothardware.com)